Ill Prepared

Date: 05/23/06
Time: 8:30am
Route: 2 loops at Sinopah's favorite park
Length:3.9mi (view)
Dog: Yep
Notes:On Sunday afternoon the rain returned to my town. This occurrence is not unusual, nor is it unwelcome. It keeps the grass green and the evenings cool. However, it changes the way I need to prepare for training runs.

Enjoying the freedom that a sport with minimal, required accoutrement's affords, I rarely think about more than my shoes, socks, shorts, and technical tee. If it is cold I wear a long sleeves, if warm I go for short sleeves. I only wear a hat when it is sunny or rainy. Simple. Just the way I like it.

I knew that it would be raining pretty heavily on today's run so I grabbed a hat to keep the drips out of my eyes. What I failed to plan for was the transformation the water would create in my t-shirt. When technical fabrics get wet they become abrasive and heavy. No longer light and friction-free, my shirt began assaulting the most sensitive part of my chest. Each step brought new pain and I was forced to run the final 3 miles holding my shirt away from my body.

The silly thing is, on longer runs I plan for this unpleasantness and use a lubricant to keep things from loosing skin. But not today.

Didn't ever get as bad as the guy in this picture, but I was not happy.

2 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, May 25, 2006, Blogger Kristi said...

I didn't comment when I read this earlier today, but I am so disturbed by that image!! Ack! Can't say that I ever knew that was an issue - thanks for the education. Maybe Kramer's "Bro" is in order?

 
At 1:18 AM, May 26, 2006, Blogger Jason Hill said...

For sure, or was it the Manzier.

It gets so bad that in the PDX marathon they have volunteers at each aid station with big globs of vaseline that you can apply. My friend Shaun is a fan of the circle band-aids.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home