Blake Hill Memorial Airport Hill Run

Date: 08/05/06
Time: 10:00am
Route: Blake Hill Memorial Airport Hill Run (view route)
Distance: 14.25
Dog: No
Notes: When Blake and I lived in Powell there was a race held each summer that he competed in twice. I was always out of town for Song Leading Camp, so he would run it by himself. I think he won his age group both times. The race started in downtown Powell and then went north of town and up the "Bench" (a bluff that surrounds Powell to the north) to the airport. I think the distance was about 8 miles and the last 1.5 were straight uphill.

When I was home this summer I thought for one of my training runs I'd give it a try. Cody was training for a triathlon, so he agreed to join me, as did Tina, however she wanted nothing to do with the hill and got a ride back to town after 5 miles.

We added a short amount of mileage to the beginning by heading west first so we could run up Road 10 which has less traffic than the actual race course. The weather was hot and we got a late start since we had to drive the course and leave Gatorade bottles every 2 miles--but they were appreciated.

Upon reaching the hill, I gained a new respect for my brother Blake. That hill ate my lunch. I don't think after running up it I would ever attempt it again but Blake did it twice. That guy is my hero and I've named this run after him.

1 Comments:

At 10:57 PM, September 25, 2006, Blogger Johnny said...

As I remember Blake actually ran up the hill three times. He did a practice run, with us as his support team in case he had trouble and needed help. He was not a happy camper on the way up, but he did do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home